Friday, March 4, 2011

Made-up Holiday

Yesterday was a Japanese holiday called "Hina-Matsuri" or "Princess Day", basically it's a girls' festival where you treat the daughter in your family to some sweets and small gifts and you decorate your house with princess dolls that make up a royal court. For more info click HERE.
I really think it's a pretty interesting holiday, So I decided to change it a little bit and celebrate the holiday in my own way. Since, you are supposed to spoil the "princess" in your life, I got some small gifts and treats for my Best-Friend here at school. Since the holiday is centered around the dolls, I decided to get my friend a "doll" as well. I got him a really cute panda beanie-baby. Then at the Asian market I bought some "dai-fuku" (sweetened red bean cake) to help maintain the Japanese holiday element. To make it seem more like a western holiday, I also got bought us a raspberry-butter-cream cake to split and mini ice cream cups.
It was a lot of fun to have all of these sweet treats especially because me and my friend had a horrible week and an ever worse day. It was the perfect remedy to make everything all better.

No comments:

Post a Comment